Hello Crafty Friends! I took a little time away for some family things and I have been busy working on my Level 3 classes for the AECP (Altenew Educator Certification Program). I am so happy to be back on my blog and share what I have been creating. I love that at this level we get to pick the classes we take. So I, of course, picked a Laura Bassen class. I love Laura’s use of color as well as her love of all things rainbow and dimension. I was so inspired I did a quick ink blended warm rainbowish card then followed it with an idea from the class. I love ink smoothing and ink smooshing resist is even more fun. I included both cards for you to enjoy.
For these cards I used the following:
Crisp Dye Ink Mini Cubes (coral bliss, pink pearl, sunkissed, mango smoothie, parrot, olive, marigold) – Altenew
Watercolor A2 Paper Set – Altenew
Pure White Crisp Embossing Powder – Altenew
Tim Holtz Distress White Heavy Stock – Ranger Ink
Satin White Sequins – Altenew
Onyx Color Essentials Cardstock – Spellbinders
Clear Embossing Powder – Nuvo
Clear 10MM Sequins – Pretty Pink Posh
I love how similar these cards are but by using different techniques (ink blending versus ink smooshing resist) they are so different. As soon as I turned off the class Laura taught, I had to make a classic ink blended Laura card. I love how she uses color and how she talked about it in the class. She influenced me to step out of my comfort zone and do a warm pallete in a semi rainbow scheme. I didn’t have a warm blue ink color from Altenew so I just decided to leave it off the card.
- I began by embossing the large floral image from the Seasonal Blooms Kit on 2 pieces of cardstock. The first image is embossed using Versamark Embossing Ink and Pure White Crisp Embossing Powder on Watercolor Cardstock. Make sure to use a Misti or other stamp positioner so you can stamp multiple times to get a good image. The second was embossed using VersaFine Onyx Black Ink and Clear Embossing Powder on Distress Heavy Stock. Both were heat set with an embossing tool.
- I used the Crisp Dye Ink Mini Cubes in Coral Bliss, Pink Pearl, Sunkissed, Mango Smoothie, Parrot and Olive to ink blend a warm rainbow over the image on the black embossed image. I made sure to lightly blend each color up in to the blank area of the panel. I love how flawlessly colors blend on Distress Heavy Stock. It is my go to for all ink blended projects.
- While the first card panel was drying, I used the same ink colors and smooshed them on the craft mat that is on my Glass Media Mat. Then I lightly misted them with water. Using some stamp or die packaging I picked up the ink colors and smooshed them on the white embossed image in the same rainbow order I used on the first panel.
- Then I used the dies from the kit to just out 4 hello’s for each card. Before layering them for dimension I stamped the word hello on a die cut for each card in Marigold. I then layered 3 die cuts behind each hello.
- I then grabbed a piece of Onyx Black Cardstock and embossed I Love You twice using Pure White Embossing Powder. I used a paper trimmer to trim these down into sentiment strips.
- I cut both panels down and attached them to a card bases using foam tape. Then I adhered the Hello die cut to the panel then using some foam tape added the I Love You close to it.
- To finish the cards, I put sequins on each card for a little bling.
One last tip is to make sure to wipe all color off of your embossed image once the inks dry. I just use my microfiber cloth to wipe them clean. Also I am in love with these Craft Your Life Project Kits from Altenew. I, of course, signed up asap to join this monthly subscription. The ideas are endless with all the great products that come in the kits. These cards make me smile and I hope you are inspired to try a warm rainbow inspired card. Thank you for stopping by.