Hello Crafty Friends!! Welcome to Part 2 of my Final Challenge for Level 2 of the AECP (Altenew Educator Certification Program). For this part we were to upcycle or alter an item. I chose 2 candy containers from Sugarfina to upcycle. One of my husbands favorite treats are from Sugarfina and he gives me the sturdy plastic containers when finished but until now I haven’t done anything with them. I knew the big one would make a great marker container and the smaller one would be great for other little items. I do think the flowers might be a bit large for the smaller container but I choose the Cora Louise Peony- Build a Flower Set in honor of my late mother. I lost my mom in April 2020. She was 91 and had suffered a stroke in July 2019. She was an avid gardener and peonies and lilacs were 2 of her favorites. I introduced my very crafty mom to card making and stamping in 1999. She and I shared a love for this until she just couldn’t use her hands due to arthritis anymore. After my mom passed away, I needed to do something with the extra time I had. So when I ran across the AECP I knew I needed to apply. I submitted my application and was accepted in July of 2020. I hope you enjoy this upcycled project!!

For this project I used the following:

I love using my waterbrush markers over an embossed image. The emboss resist technique makes watercoloring an image so easy for me as I am not super confident with any sort of watercoloring. I loved that Svetlana Marchenko used this technique in her Impressive Heat Embossing class. I now reach for my watercolor brush markers all the time.

  • I began by measuring the height and 2 sides of my large cube. Then the height and all 4 sides of my small cube. I cut Onyx Black Cardstock using these measurements. I placed my cubes in a box that I use as my splat box, then sprayed 3600 Spray Adhesive on all sides of the small cube first and 2 sides of the large cube second. I carefully wrapped the black cardstock around the cubes, holding tightly until the glue set a little. Using my fingers I creased the edges so the cardstock would lay flat. I then repeated this with the remaining 2 sides of the large cube. Make sure you spray this adhesive in a well ventilated room or outside.
  • I then cut some ribbon I found in my stash and used liquid glue to adhere it to the cubes as I wrapped it around the black cardstock.
  • While the glue dried, I got to work on my flowers and leaves. I first stamped 3 peonies and lots of leaves on Watercolor Paper A2 Loose Sheets with VersaMark ink. Make sure to use an antistatic powder tool before stamping so your embossing powder only sticks on the stamped images. I then poured Antique Gold Crisp Embossing Powder over the images and used an embossing gun to set the powder.
  • I wet down my images using a Watercolor brush and plain water. I chose to work on my peonies first. I used the Winter Wonderland and Tropical Fiesta Watercolor Brush Marker sets for these. I began by applying Rouge on the image leaving the edges of the petals and the middle of the flower open, then I added Ruby Red to the centers and Sunkissed to the outside of the petals. I used the Watercolor Brush to move the pigment around. You could also spray the images with water and the pigments will move that way as well. I added a little more of the colors where needed. When I was happy I set the images aside to dry.
  • Next I did the same thing with the leaves using Emerald and Mountain Mist markers. I let these colors stay very pigmented and did not use a watercolor brush on them to move the pigment around.
  • Once all the images were totally dry I used the coordinating dies to cut out all the images. I then adhered the peonies with foam squares and the leaves with liquid glue. I didn’t want to cut any of the images so I made sure nothing was hanging over the bottom edge.

I really love how these turned out and I have a bunch more in a drawer to make more storage containers with. The containers have labels that are hard to remove and leave the plastic looking bad so this allows me to make use of them instead of throwing them away. Also I like the things that I have out on my counter tops or shelves in my craft room to look nice so these are perfect. I did not use the lids as I wanted these to be open containers so I could grab what is in them quickly.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope this idea inspires you to make use of something you would normally just throw away.

4 thoughts on “Upcycled Project: Altenew Leve1 2 Final Challenge

  1. Erum Tasneem says:

    This is so gorgeous! I absolutely love it and also the story behind it!! You have done a wonderful job on your final challenge, April! Thank you for submitting your wonderful work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks, Erum! These were super fun to make and look great in my craft room.


  2. Devera says:

    Great way to beautify reusables!! Your watercolor technique is lovely, I especially like the leaves.
    Thank you for sharing 😊

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks so much, Devera!! I have more of these I know need to upcycle like this!! Never can have enough containers!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: